Sunday, May 1, 2011

HW 50

In the first third of my book, Grave Matters, I go over two scenarios on how people with dead loved ones are treated in the funeral industry, and how their loved ones are treated. I also go over one popular alternative, cremation.

"the protective caskets families pay hundreds of extra dollars for are 'routinely unsealed after the family leaves'"

"the intimate familiar setting also makes for a welcome contrast to the funeral parlor Brian visited to handle his father's burial"

"those that allow you generally ask that you gain a permit beforehand"

"the Johnsons are obligated, however, to lease Fielding's "flower van"


The book, thus far, has been really interesting and the facts have been accurate and helpful. The representation of facts and research through stories is a great way to get the reader to actually read and enjoy it. So far, the author isn't bashing the system in place, he's just revealing it with fact and offering alternatives that factually are less evil and less atrocious. I like the honesty of the author and the attempt to show truths without extreme bias. So far, after reading I've made the decision that I'm not going to be buried. I'm not sure what will happen to me, just not burial. Not because of the affect it will have on me, but my loved ones. I want this experience for them to be transparent and only about saying goodbye, not some over priced scam of a funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment